With the Film Prize for International Cooperation Germany/Arab World, the Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH aims to support the general public in promoting art and culture as well as international understanding.
The advertised prize money is intended to provide an incentive to individuals of all countries to conceive or create film products geared towards creating or strengthening mutual understanding among peoples.
The Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH places particular importance on highlighting the connection between art and culture and international understanding as well as on the fact that cinematographic works, as a particularly powerful element of the visual arts, can function as bridges between peoples/continents/societies in unique ways. This connection is of special significance regarding the judging criteria.
In this context, the Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH calls attention to the fact that, as a non-profit organization, it does not wish to become politically engaged or to offer political statements within the scope of this project. For this reason, the cinematographic works should not be conceived or created solely to convey a political message. Political messages are defined by the Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH in this context as:
- global political issues;
- national political issues;
- regional political issues;
- local political issues.
It is, however, unobjectionable for the creators to demand or take a stance on general conditions in the context of international understanding if these are suited to foster international understanding in terms of improved mutual relationships among peoples, as manifestations in the form of “film cinematic works”.
The Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH reserves the right to attach specific legal requirements to the disbursement of the prize money in keeping with its commitment to the non-profitable purposes of promoting art and culture as well as international understanding.
Applications will thus be assessed with due regard to the following judging criteria:
- Type of presentation (short film/silent film; black and white film, color film) and its effects on the purpose of fostering mutual understanding among peoples/societies;
- Genre (documentary, comedy, tragedy) and its effects on the purpose of fostering mutual understanding among peoples/societies;
- Actors (leading actors, supporting actors) and its effects on the purpose of fostering mutual understanding among peoples/societies;
- Subject (real, fictional) and its effects on the purpose of fostering mutual understanding among peoples/societies.
Political neutrality and political affinity as related to international understanding.